Sunday 10 August 2014

Lavender Farming

You know what I'm like with strong, signature florals - anything that looks, smells or tastes of them, I'm on it. This summer I went to a lavender farm and spent far more time in the All Lavender Gift Shop than my friend spent outdoors (in pursuit of new lavender plants for the garden) pausing only to emerge and pronounce that she should buy the English, not the French kind, because it blooms longer, is hardier and is a more delicate shade. Then I went back inside for lavender ice cream. Lilac pairs with lavender in every respect; just as delicate a shade and its own distinct fragrance. I've just never come across lilac ice cream, I assume because it's not suitable as an edible, but I assure you if I do, I'll not be giving you any. Some things I horde jealously. 
No longer the preserve of granny sachets in underwear drawers, Lilac and Lavender can be iconic. La Taylor's eyes, for a start. 
My new obsession on Pinterest is the Silkstone Barbie collection. I couldn't believe these things when I saw them. There's bloody hundreds of them, all exquisitely dressed in impeccable, stunning 1950's couture. Staggering. So I'm slotting one in, just for the hell of it. I mean, just look at it. It's perfection. I'm sure these things go for a small fortune, I'm afraid to ask. Miniature Persian rug and non-Persian dog on the high caliber photo shoot. Sold separately, one assumes. 
Ahem. Back to more grown up pursuits of decor, although no decor can truly take itself too seriously when mauve is concerned. Not really. It's too damn pretty. I could see lilac Barbie swanning about this glorious room:
 A kitchen made charming by the addition of lilac. Source
And an even sweeter painted floor here
The elegant Corinthian Club, Glasgow, has infused this delicate room with a mere touch, with great aplomb:
Heavenly drapes...
Amethyst Roman precious jewels. This ring from 1st-3rd Century AD. 
 Robustly Period but still ethereal - 
Barely there; restrained use in Walm Lane, London
Full-on, in-your-face coverage, to awe inspiring effect in the Mehrangarh Fort, Jodphur. Damn, that continent knows how to do color. 







No comments:

Post a Comment