Sunday 27 July 2014

Coral Composition

I can give you the exact time and place that I fell in love with coral; August 1985, coming across this beauty in Long Island. Where is it now? I still crave it. 

Still fancy doing a room in it, perhaps along the lines of these, from misscandydarling on Flickr:

Coral is making a comeback currently, forgive the alliterations. Let's have a romp through some present day use and then a wallow in some of the more traditional, from Victorian to Deco to modern - speaking as a member of The Cronus Club. You're likely to find it paired with pastels such as in The Chelsea House
 ...and Kempe, both in London, as suiting delicate sensibilities with style.
I do love it though when anyone goes for broke with a color (you don't say) and Mount Pleasant doesn't hold back by teaming it with hot pink. Fabulada. 
However, it lends itself well to hot desert climes and evoking cultural design; superbly done here in this Mexican villa. If I had a villa in Mexico, would I call it Pancho? You bet. 
Even just a bit of it livens up an interior and a great eye was had by the person who spotted this piece's potential in W1, London. Particularly fond am I of the hats resting on it, but I do have the same display penchants myself. Hats are art. 

Loft living in New York? No, this is London, an airy space called Zoom Unit. My hammock clambering days are behind me, but it do look great. 

What about the historical I promised? Here is the magnificent Raynham Hall in Norfolk, when coral was exotic and daring - still is, now I consider this collection of pictures. 


And the lovely Belmont House:
Dacha in Kent:
Find a bit of coral and get decorating. You can start with just a little...or dive right in.








No comments:

Post a Comment